How Can You Become a Lyft Driver
So you want to become a Lyft driver but are not sure what the requirements are?
This post will talk you through what is involved in becoming a Lyft driver.
Becoming a Lyft driver can be a great way to make some extra cash. You can earn pretty good wages during peak travel hours and the tourist season if this is relevant in your area.
Some drivers become full-time Lyft drivers but many drive part-time to supplement another income.
How much you actually earn through Lyft depends on many factors such as location, the number of hours you put in every day, etc.
Whether you want to become a Lyft driver to supplement your main income or meet a financial goal, you will have to first meet certain requirements. Let’s look at the requirements to become a Lyft driver.
Step 1 – Meet the Lyft driver requirements
- Only people who are 21 years or older can drive for Lyft. Besides meeting the age requirement, you will have to complete a driver’s record check and a background check.
- The number of violations against your name in the last 3 years shouldn’t over 3.
- There shouldn’t be any major violation against your name, like reckless driving.
- You shouldn’t have any drug-related infractions in the past 7 years.
- Additionally, there shouldn’t have committed any driving felonies, like hit and run.
- You mustn’t have committed a sexual offence, violent crime, theft, drug-related crime, felony, property damage offense in the past 7 years.
Step 2 – Carry a valid driver’s license
You must carry a valid license for the state you’re currently living in. For instance, if you are going to drive in Texas, you must have a valid Texas driver’s license.
Additionally, you will have to prove that your driving experience in the U.S.A. is not less than one year.
Step 3 – Get car insurance
If you are driving in Texas, your car should have the relevant Texas automotive insurance. Similarly if you’re driving in California, you need your car to be insured in California. In addition to having an in-state automotive insurance, your name should appear on the car insurance policy.
Step 4 – Make sure your car is up to the required standard
To drive with Lyft, your car must meet certain requirements, such as your car should have four doors and all of them should be in good working order. All the necessary safety features must be present in your car, there should be no serious damage and the car should be neat and clean.
- In addition to these, some more important specifications that your car should meet are:
- Your car should not be older than 2004
- All the seat-belts should be in working condition
- All car lights should be in working condition
- Car A/C and heating should be working fine
Step 5 – Lyft Drivers must download the Lyft mobile app
You will need to download this app. If you own an Android, you’ll need 6.0+ operating system and above. Apple users would require iPhone4 or above.
Step 6 – Apply for a job as a Lyft driver
Log on to the official Lyft website. Fill in the necessary details to create your Lyft account.
Step 7 – Fill in some basic information for a Lyft background check
The next step is to fill out some basic information, which Lyft will use to run a background check, identity check, vehicle check, and driver’s record check to ensure you meet the requirements.
Within a few days of your filling the basic information about yourself on the Lyft website, the company will get in touch with you to tell you about your application’s status.
Step 8 – Clear the welcome ride with another Lyft driver
After your online application has been processed, you will receive an email from an experienced Lyft driver. He will be your Lyft mentor and will test how you drive.
Once you clear this test, you just need to log in to your Lyft account and enter the banking information in the driver dashboard section and you have become a Lyft driver!